Sunday 30 December 2012

Edo Sushi



I left my job in the City with a magnificent leaving do. We went to Sushi Samba (where I had 1 of my 4 minor vegetarian fuck ups this year) and we went to a wild club where our table cost more than my law degree. We lost one of my bosses in Soho and as the most sober person, I was sent to find him (he had gone to score and later returned, courtesy of a bemused rickshaw driver, with all the buttons missing from his shirt). My other boss had blood all down HIS shirt and claimed not to know why. His PA looked like the woman at the beginning of that anti-binge drinking advert. She then looked like a naked version of that woman in the advert when I caught her with my (also naked) boss doing something that adults often do when they are naked with other people.

I left my job, not because I didn’t like it but because it wasn’t something I wanted to do forever and at 24, you have to start thinking about what you are going to do forever, don’t you? The ideas of a house (not a room), a mortgage (not rent), a marriage (not fucking around) and, gulp, a brood (I don’t even know) occasionally creep into your drug addled thoughts.

But then, you’re only 24. So you swiftly assure yourself…”Fuck this, I’m only 24!!! I don’t need to think about serious things for ages; possibly not for 20 years or forever!!”, so I joined the music industry!

I didn’t go to a label or a recording studio, I became a management assistant! In management, you have to be really organised and motivated and organised and a bit of a servant and organised. I quickly realised that I wasn’t doing any of the work I was meant to be doing, unless it was something I couldn’t get away with not doing.

For example, “Laura, could you please get me a Starbucks and water the garden?” “Yes, of course” and I did!

Or…

“Laura, could you please find us some artists who you think would go well with these producers, then burn some CDs and then research some recording studios and then find me a new cleaner?” “Yes, of course” and I didn’t!

All this work was piling up and I was very worried. As I may have said before, I am an 80% panic/20% work type of person. I pretended that everything was fine whilst doing absolutely no work. One weekend, I thought about this mess and instead of rationally deciding to stay late a few nights and do the work, I panicked.

On Monday morning, I went into the office, made my boss a cup of tea, set up her diary for the day and quit. I said that I didn’t want to be in London anymore and that music wasn’t for me and that…and that…..I wanted to be a teacher!

In actual fact, a terrible realisation had hit me: I wasn’t a manager at all; I needed a manager!

They were very mad: “You have really left us in the lurch here. Do you know that Diana Vickers’ sister wanted this job? We turned her down you know because we thought you would be better. We waited for TWO months for you to work your notice. TWO MONTHS. Even though we needed someone straight away. We could have had Diana’s sister; she really wanted this job you know”.

I didn’t care; I just thought “get me out of here right now”.

I put my room on the market, lugged every belonging I had back up to my parents’ house and registered at a temping agency.

I was worried that being up north would mean there would be no good places to eat lunch. However, during my first placement at the temping agency, I was introduced to a lovely little sushi takeaway in Sheffield city centre: Edo Sushi.

It’s extremely tiny and you can’t eat in, which is not really a problem because you can trundle along to the Winter Gardens in Sheffield and just sit there and eat it, which is much nicer than a real indoor place. There is one particularly nice member of staff – a lady, who works on the front counter. I have a bit of a crush on her, I think. Not in a sexy way but just in a I wish you were my best friend and we watched films together and thought the same things sort of way. All the other staff are nice too.

The reason I am writing about this place isn’t because of the building or the staff but because it does good, authentic Japanese food that is in the centre of Sheffield, so may be good for people nipping out on their lunch breaks.

Veggie Edo Box - £4.50 at lunchtime (the fish one is the same price)

Aubergine Katsu Curry - usually £6ish but £4.50 if you ask nicely.

It's really fucking good.
Disclaimer: As I have no readers, it hardly needs to be said that I have not been paid in money or free stuff to write this post. Having said that, if Edo Sushi or anyone else wants to send me free stuff, I promise to be absolutely and utterly corrupt and write whatever you want me to say.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment