Sunday 29 January 2012

Pretending To Eat Meat - Episode 1





Before becoming a v-e-g-g-i-e I was a fervent meat eater. Unlike some of my friends who have been brought up as vegetarians and so have never craved meat, I fucking loved meat. 

There are so many of my favourite things that have now become confined to the history books. Examples include McDonalds (Thankfully, I can still have the fries), steak (not usually a massive fan but after my first and last visit to Relais de Venise it’s another darling gone) and my two most beloved curries ever (one of which is at a restaurant in Sheffield and the other is one I used to make for my boyfriend). Sob.

Anyway, chin up because even though I can’t eat animals anymore, I can still pretend! I will therefore strive to update my blog with things I find that brighten up the melancholy meat-free life.

Frazzles
I would describe these facon (fake bacon…fay-cun) crisps as middle-class pork scratchings. I hate pork scratchings but I do like bacon and so these stripy little tabs, vaguely reminiscent of meat are actually quite good. So good in fact that from the 8 pack I bought yesterday, I only have one packet left. Please note that as I do not have any friends, I’m ashamed to say that I am the consumer of all 7 packets.





Haribo
Alright, not ALL Haribo is suitable for vegetarians. In fact, most of it isn’t, including my all-time favourite sweet ever – Maoam. Maoam are just the fruitiest bites of chewy joy anyone could ever experience and whoever invented them is a genius but also very weird because let’s face it, who would even consider putting ANIMAL in kids’ chews.

In light of the above, you can imagine how joyous I was when I stumbled upon some Haribo that didn’t contain stuff from animals’ bones. I didn’t even bother to read the packaging or stop to consider that I might not like them, I just chucked them in my little wheelie basket and hopped along to the self-service.

Long story short: they’re not as nice as normal sweets so I suppose the animal stuff really makes a difference. They’re not really chewy and the flavours were a bit shit. If one thing is going to be my downfall with the whole veggie thing, then it WILL be Maoam.

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment